d

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Bucky Dent

Here is the tragic figure of Bucky Dent, the mildly promising albeit light-hitting young Chicago White Sox shortstop who after being named to the Topps all-rookie team in 1975 was killed in a horrific wood chipper accident. Though some are of the opinion that this accident is a myth, and that Bucky Dent actually went on to play for several more years in the American League, at times even excelling as a power-hitter in key late season moments (a preposterous claim given his slight frame and complete lack of power-hitting skills), I offer as primary countering evidence the fact that this is the only Bucky Dent card in my entire collection, and if he had indeed played beyond this year the only way to explain his absence from my collection would be to say that I assiduously removed and destroyed any later Bucky Dent cards, as if for some reason the very sight of them caused me revulsion. But why on earth would I or anyone waste time doing something like that? Clearly, the stronger Bucky Dent theory is the one in which, tragically, Bucky Dent was thoroughly minced or possibly even pureed by a wood chipper before he was ever able to make any significant impact on major league baseball history or on the innocence of, say, a 10-year-old Red Sox fan in East Randolph, Vermont, on October 2, 1978.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I oftened wondered what happened to him.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you really should be talking to someone....

12:38 PM  
Blogger Ian Wilker said...

Reading along, thoroughly amused, and then I read "... or possibly even pureed" and start laughing so hard I fear ribs will break.

Nice 'un.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home